Testing an RMC75E with only power connected

Hi
I would like to test a newly acquired, but used RMC75E-QA1-AP2-D8-D8 using RMCTools. Looking for a way to verify it’s functionality, probably in a simulated mode? … mostly to see if it’s likely to work, when fully installed with associated equipment. Is there a “check out” routine available in RMCTools?

I have run the first steps in RMCTools, and all components are recognized … CPU has a green led on top, center led not lit, and the bottom led is blinking green, the QA1 top led is Red, bottom led blinking green, AP2 top led red … no other leds indicating, on other attachments. Unit probably needs a firmware update, and a return to factory configurations (if there is such a thing … :slight_smile:

Thanks for any info, Regards, Michael lamboom@earthlink.net

That the RMC powers up and recognizes all the modules is a good sign. To reset the RMC, in RMCTools, on the Controller menu, choose Reset Controller to Defaults. To update firmware, download the latest firmware from http://www.deltamotion.com/dloads/downloads.php?category=rmc70&subcategory=Firmware and save it on your computer. Then, in RMCTools, in the project tree, expand the Modules folder, double-click the CPU, and choose the Firmware page. Click the Update Firmware button.

The remaining step is to make sure all the inputs and outputs work. First, you will want to define the axes so that all the outputs and inputs are assigned to axes, so that you can use them in RMCTools (does not apply to the discrete I/O on the D8 which cannot be assigned to axes). To do this, in the project tree, expand Axes and choose Axis Definitions. You will want to define one control axis with dual-loop, that use the QA1 Control Output, the QA1 input for position, and the AP2 for dual-input force.

RMC75E:

1. Check that both the USB and Ethernet work.

QA1 Module:

1. Check that the Control Output outputs the correct voltage. Use the Direct Output command, then use a volt meter to measure the Control Output pin with respect to common. Use a positive voltage and a negative voltage.
  2. Check that the encoder input works. The easiest way is to connect an encoder. The encoder must have a 5V differential line driver signal (RS-422, with the A+, A-, B+, B-, Z+, Z- signals.
  3. You should also check the Fault Input and Enable Output.

AP2 Module

1. Apply a voltage to each input and check that the input voltage is correctly reported in Axis Tools, in the Status register, on the All tab. Use both positive and negative voltage. If nothing is connected, the RMC will show approx. -10.125 volts.

D8 Modules
In RMCTools, (Project tree > Programming > Discrete I/O) configure all the D8 I/O points to be inputs. Then, apply a voltage to all the inputs (with respect to input common) and verify that RMCTools reports they are on. Next, configure all the D8 I/O points to be outputs. Then, apply a voltage to the output common on the D8 and then turn each I/O point on and off and verify that each point acts as a switch.

Hi Jacob
What a great reply! … thanks much. I’m all over it… will get back to you after following all of your suggestions. I’m going to use it to control a LinMot Linear Motor which will be making waves in a small model ocean for educational purposes. The LinMot drivers are good, and can generate excellent curves with fine PID feedback; however, they cannot do the complex curves of the random sea, and the RMC75E can … :slight_smile: Here’s a link of the LinMot driver doing a great job on a wave sequence: youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6aDgKCAkk

to be continued… Regards, Michael lamboom@earthlink.net

In the video, what is the actuator setup? Is the one acting as a counterbalance to the other, or what?

It Is a bit strange … the moving wall is connected to the actuator by cable in a closed loop. takes up much less space, and balances the inertia effects of both moving components. There’s also a load cell supporting the forward pulley. The 80/20 frame is for prototyping tank designs … nothing is permanent here. In fact that tank is a model of a larger one we expect to build soon. Here’s another interesting use of a LinMot actuator which can develop 135 pounds to create a tectonic event producing a Tsunami … just a prototype: youtube.com/watch?v=tjg-ibl … e=youtu.be Only using about 30 pounds at this 0.8 sec. sine lift. Expect to be lifting in 0.35 sec with a stiffer floor… :slight_smile:

Hi Jacob

Updated RMCTools, Reset RMC75E to factory defaults, Updated RMC75E firmware … etc… Thanks for the help… ‘cause I’m very new to Delta MC’s … and it will be a while before I’m actually programing one. Must read everything, all tutorials, and videos … and, take the on-line two day class. I will probably first try an’ program an RMC 100 to control LinMots older “dumb” driver designed to work with a motion controller, and the actuator has quadrature feedback built-in to the magnetic stator (using Hall effect … position accuracy is very good, and certainly good enough for making waves… :slight_smile:

I wanted to ask you about RMC70E “Loader” update download… I don’t know what that is, yet… should I update that too?

Thanks, Regards, Michael 760-212-3427 microoceans.com

The loader is for the RMC’s boot-up. You do not need to update it. Occasionally, a new firmware version may require a new loader, but it will inform you during install if that is the case.

Hi Jacob
…Quick question… How do I easily check if the Ethernet works? Can it be substituted with the PC running RMCTools for communication… instead of using the USB cable?

Yes, RMCTools can connect via Ethernet. In the Project tree, right click the controller and choose Connection path. Then you can browse for RMCs that are connected via Ethernet. You can even set the IP address from that dialog.

Thanks much Jacob …

Hi Jacob… Much time has passed. I spent a lot of time working with Siemens PLC/HMI and Digital I/O’s to control the LinMot drivers and make waves using several techniques. When I tried to use a PLC interfaced to the driver … I had to use Profibus/Profinet and it required the Siemens TIA portal “Professional” software. (too expensive for the desired result) So, I’m now going to control the driver with Delta’s RMC75E. I always was going to do that… but, wanted to experience the learning curve with Digital I/O’s and Siemens.

As you said earlier in this thread, I should be able to log on to the RMC75E using Ethernet… So far, I’m having a little trouble doing that… I think the LAN or LAC interface isn’t set up correctly… I’ve changed the IP address of the RMC… and I can log into it using USB… However, when trying to connect using Ethernet… the PC fails to do so… even tho the RMC is found, and the IP and Mac address look good in that list of devices which pops up just before you hit the connect button.

I’ve disabled windows firewalls … no effect… I’ll try another PC tomorrow, one that I use to connect to Siemens PLC/HMI using Ethernet cable… I’m hoping it’s just a LAN configuration problem in PC #1… I’m not too savvy at setting those up. Too many ways to do it wrong … If you know a good tutorial on how to set up a wired LAN connection between my PC and the RMC … please pass it on… Thanks much, Regards, Michael
youtu.be/U8HVEtw7DdA

What are the IP addresses and Subnet Masks of the PC and the RMC?

Hi Jacob I just got back from the lab … I’ll go back and check. Meantime, I was just now successful at connecting using a Windows XP PC (good ol’ reliable XP) Somehow, that one had a network config. set up properly.

I did notice a mismatch between the PC and the RMC: I had set RMC IP to 192.168.0.240 & Subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller has IP 169.254.127.5 & Subnet 255.255.0.0 … But I would rather change the controller than the RMC … Just don’t know how.

It’s not reasonable to ask you how to do this… I know know the RMC75E is fine… It just communicated perfectly with an old Windows XP machine … which I set up about a year ago… :slight_smile: I need to properly configure a LAC wired network on my Windows 7 machines … (It’s not an issue with Delta’s equipment :slight_smile:

Unless you know easily how to do that… or can send me to good tutorial to achieve desired result … please don’t waste your time on this … after I take the on-line class with Delta, and start doing awesome programming with the RMC … then… I might bug you again. Thanks Much , Regards… Michael

It’s easier to change the RMC’s IP address, as I just described on your other topic (I thought I posted that yesterday, but I just a few minutes ago that I had not clicked Submit).

To change the IP address of your PC network card on Windows 7, try this:

1. In the Control Panel, choose Network and Internet.
  2. Choose Network and Sharing center.
  3. You should see a Local Area Connection. Click it.
  4. Click Properties.
  5. Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and double-click it.
  6. Choose “Use the following IP address:”, then set the IP address and subnet mask.

will try … you’re a wonderful person, don’t ever change … thanks.

Yup… that did it. I shoulda known … it was set for DHCP automatic… DUH

One last question for a while… I have the RMC75E QA1 … is it possible to purchase the QA2 module, and connect it to the RMC … as you would other modules?

Regards, Michael

You would need to remove the QA1, then install the QA2. We normally don’t recommend buying just individual axis modules, but if you want to buy one, we will sell it! Axis modules don’t install like the expansion modules. It can be a little tricky replacing the axis module, but usually it’s quite easy. Just need to make sure the connector seats properly.

GREAT! … Thanks … I’m a brain surgeon when it comes to electronics … I’ll check on the price…

… Regards, Michael