Moving points in a curve

Hi,

I am currently looking at the curve feature of RMC Tools. I am unable to click and drag any of the points that make up my curve could someone please explain how this is done.
I have tried the method outlined here:

[deltamotion.com/support/webh ... Points.htm](http://deltamotion.com/support/webhelp/rmcwin/Using_RMCWin/Curve_Tool/Using_Points/Curve_Tool_Moving_Points.htm) 

To move points by dragging a point or points:

Click and drag a point.
          If the point is already one of several points selected, then all points will be dragged together.
          To hold time (or master position) constant during the drag, hold down the CTRL key while dragging.
          To hold position constant during the drag, hold down the ALT key while dragging.

But I cannot drag any points. Can someone please confirm if the error is with me or has the feature been removed?

Thank you
Pete

Graphically editing curve points in RMCTools is not possible at this time. The help file you referenced is for the older RMC100, which uses RMCWin. We didn’t implement graphical curve tool editing in RMCTools because it turns out that so few customers actually use it. Normally, customers calculate a curve and send it to the RMC, or paste the data in the spreadsheet portion of the Curve Tool.

To edit points, edit the values in the spreadsheet below the curve. If you click a point in the curve, the corresponding column in the spreadsheet will be highlighted.

I know even for myself, I would like the graphical editing because it works so well for just trying out or demonstrating the curve tool, so we do plan on adding that feature eventually.

Ah that’s a shame, thanks for the reply.

I work in the film industry, a lot of what we do is “what looks good” rather than trying to follow a set motion profile. It would be great if this feature could be added as it would easier to make quick changes to the motion profile. Is there a time frame when this might be added or is it way way down the list?

Thank you
Pete

Pete,

We indeed did find that it is precisely the entertainment market that actually uses the graphical editing. At the time the Curve Tool was designed, there were so few applications we had in the entertainment industry that adding the graphical didn’t justify the effort. Graphical point editing has been way down on the list, but your request certainly increases the priority.

While we are at it, I would like to ask more specifics: In RMCWin, it was possible to select multiple points and move them as a group. Is this multi-select something that you would consider a must-have?

Hi Jacob, I cant see why being able to select multiple points would be a major necessity but every little help I guess. For my industry being able to quickly set up a move is paramount. The requests for motion profiles to be changed and created while on set with cameras ready to roll happens all the time so anything that helps speed up creating and editing moves helps greatly.

I think curves would be used almost exclusively as they have the ability to be linked to a master register such as a pot which would be able to slow down, speed up and even reverse the motion.

What would be ideal is a really quick way to record a move say from a multi axis joystick and have it appear straight into the curve tool. Then, as an added bonus the ability to adjust the number of points/resolution of the curve after the move was recorded and the ability to tune the motion by dragging the points, using a scale feature and by using the usual spread sheet input.

Thanks for listening, I know its very easy to come up with ideas which take considerable work and time to implement!

Would you recommend the curve tool for creating quick motion profiles that can be edited and changed quickly or are there any other tools you would recommend? Being able to run the move at say 50% speed then 80% then 100% in quick succession would be great for stunt performers to rehearse and get use to the action before going full speed.

Thank you
Pete Britten

Pete,

Attached is an RMCTools project that demonstrates how to record the motion of an axis and save it to a curve. This can of course be modified for various purposes. With some more work, you can make a curve with a lesser number of points/resolution.

You can use a scale feature in the Curve Start Advanced command. Of course, that doesn’t give you a nice preview in the Curve Tool of the scaled version.

For quick, custom motion profiles, the Curve Tool would be the tool of choice.
TeachCurve.rmcproj (26.8 KB)

Thank you for the example program, sorry for the late reply work has be hectic recently.

How easy would it be to record a curve for multiple axis at the same time? Could a custom plot be used and then each axis from the plot copied into the curves for each axis or is their a simpler way?

Thank you
Pete

You should be able to easily modify the user program so that it records multiple axes at the same time and makes multiple curves.

It is possible to use a captured plot to make a curve. However, not all the captured plot samples are accessible from the expressions. Import the attached user program and try it out!
MakeCurvesFromPlot.rmcprog (11.2 KB)