My company, like many, makes a range of customized standard products for our customer base. I have implemented an RMC75 into this system to control the machine’s motion during operation. Recently, we built and shipped a machine from the US to Singapore and were plagued with performance problems. Our technical support team visited the customer and validated all electrical and mechanical systems and still couldn’t find the problem.
I was able to obtain plots of the machine running and I noticed that the control loops didn’t seem to be performing as well as they typically do on this machine. The system’s response was “off” especially when a disturbance was encountered. While participating on the “what to do next” conference call, I realized that the accumulator could possibly be the problem. After the team dug into the situation a bit further, we found indeed that the accumulator had not been charged. We chose to have our local hydraulics distributor charge the accumulator prior to shipping the units to us and unfortunately, they accidentally didn’t charge the unit.
Rather than debate the decision to have a vendor charge accumulators, I’m wondering if anyone has a best practice to test for a failed accumulator with a user program.