Mechanical tricks for remote valves and hose

Mounting valves remotely from actuators is always a bad idea. However, sometimes system design dictates mounting valves remotely from the actuators. Delta has had customers successfully control systems with more than 100 feet of hose between the valve and actuators.

Hydraulic tricks customers have using with some success:

1. Install an orifice between the A port and the hose running to the actuator and the B port and hose running to the actuator.
  2. On a system with an overhanging load, a flow control with a check valve was used to generate more back pressure to better control the system.

For any system that requires hose, having the correct components can make control easier.

1. Fast response, appropriately size valve
  2. High resolution position feedback
  3. Pressure transducers to A and B ports

To test my knowledge and possibly provide some insight, I had a datasheet from Parker (maybe an internal document) that lists the volumetric expansion of hoses. 1 in^3/ft at rated pressure was the high end. Is my assumption correct that adding orifices “takes-up” the initial expansion of the hose resulting in a more rigid system? I’ll soon be deciding to use a single remote mounted proportional valve, for versatility and cost, or budget for two valves.

My thought is the same as yours, adding the orifice"takes-up" the initial expansion of the hose which allows the system to respond faster. Ideally, the valve would be mounted directly on the actuator which would eliminate the need for the orifices.